Kangerlussuaq International Science Support (KISS)
The facility is owned by the Greenlandic government and operated by the Greenland Civil Aviation Department.
KISS has several buildings holding wet laboratory, dry laboratory, computer room with internet access, kitchen, mess, living room, conference room, toilets, showers, well-equipped workshop, offices and storage room. The laboratories are equipped with only very basic equipment such as ovens, scale, refrigerator and deep freezer.
Scientific equipment: Deep freezer, refrigerators, drying oven, electrical power (110 V and 220-230 V, 60 Hz)
KISS can accommodate up to more than 300 persons.
For more information contact KISS Manager:
Several companies are offering storage options for research equipment in Kangerlussuaq:
The towns offer to researchers various options whereas transportation in the Arctic is usually scarce, unreliable and expensive. The unusual high regularity for air transportation in Kangerlussuaq Airport means that not only international and domestic air transports in and out of Kangerlussuaq are reliable, it also means that Search and Rescue helicopters are located in Kangerlussuaq: although you cannot rent the SAR air transportation, it gives researchers and others improved security in the area
Researches conducted on the ice sheet necessitate air support, following the main alternatives:
- If you are supported by the National Science Foundation (USA), your research team is eligible to get supported by the American Air Forces and the US logistic company based on Kangerlussuaq
- If you are not supported by the NSF, you can work with Air Greenland Charter which provides helicopters – non dedicated to research: the Eurocopter AS 350. They have a maximum take-off weight of 2,250t and a maximum of passengers onboard of 5.
- Another alternative is contacting the Icelandic company Norlandair which provides planes adapted to rough terrains, with skis for landing on snow/ice. The Twin Otter planes have a maximum take-off weight of 5,5t and a maximum of passengers onboard 10. Please contact Norlandair for more information:
- The last solution is to bring your own plane or helicopter to conduct researches on the ice sheet. The airport of Kangerlussuaq has a lot of space to take care of your airplane.
Thanks to the ice road, you can drive from Kangerlussuaq all the way to ice sheet all year round.
Here are the car rental options:
- Regarding car rental without a driver, please contact JMM Gruppen.
- Regarding car rental with driver: Arctic Ice Tours, Albatros Arctic Circle or Kang Mini Tours.
- Renting a bus with driver: Albatros Arctic Circle or Kang Mini Tours
- Trucks with driver: Entreprenørservice SFJ
In the summer time it is possible to venture out in the Kangerlussuaq fjord, sailing in the fjords and sea in Greenland with passengeres requires a passenger sailing permit. Do not sail with companies without this permit.
Here are the boat charter options:
Kangerlussuaq has been at the forefront of telecommunications in the Arctic. Special telecommunications equipment has been set up in and around Kangerlussuaq as a consequence of military forces, international airport, research and SAR operations going on in Kangerlussuaq. This also means special telecommunications experts have detailed information about telecommunication possibilities in Kangerlussuaq.
Here are companies present in Kangerlussuaq that can provide telecommunications service:
Stores in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland
Kangerlussuaq is a small settlement but provides all necessary services:
- Kang Mini Marked: A private mini market offering food, beverages, various equipment etc.
- Pilersuisoq: A government owned modest supermarket offering food, beverages, various equipment etc.